Marine Conservation Institute is a non-profit scientific and conservation advocacy organization that has been working since 1996 to protect marine ecosystems. Marine Conservation Institute is a great place to work and be part of a team of scientists and strategists working to preserve marine life for us and for future generations. We offer a competitive benefits package for full-time employees including health insurance, 3 weeks of vacation and the option to participate in a matching 401k retirement plan. Marine Conservation Institute is an equal opportunity employer - women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
There are currently no job openings. Thank you for your interest.
Reports to: Conservation Projects Coordinator
Location: Seattle, WA
Period: May - August 2015
Marine Conservation Institute is opening an internship position for a Conservation Fellow in our Seattle office. This position is an unpaid, 3-month commitment for individuals looking to assist a 501(c)(3) conservation non-profit. The commitment can be extended after a 3-month performance evaluation. The estimated time commitment is 16-24 hours/ week in our Seattle office between the hours of 8-4 PM. No benefits or relocation costs are provided, except standard holidays falling during the internship term.
We’re looking for an individual who shares our commitment to the preservation of marine life. This individual is attentive to detail and able to assist with a variety of tasks including: communications assistance, development work, assisting executive staff, program assistance and general online research. Training is provided. We prefer candidates who have a demonstrated ability to work independently, with minimal direct supervision.
As a leader in the global movement to protect and recover the integrity of vast ocean areas, Marine Conservation Institute uses the latest science to identify important marine ecosystems around the world and then advocates for their protection. We work with scientists, politicians, government officials and other organizations to identify key threats to areas in the sea and then build workable solutions. Our unique effectiveness comes from our vision, expertise and our willingness to partner with others. Working out of our Seattle office, volunteers have the opportunity to work with our staff to gain important skills and insights into conservation advocacy.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic photo editing
- Familiarity with major social media platforms
- Data entry and management
- Ability/ willingness to learn new computer programs
- Basic internet research
- Preferred: Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, MailChimp, Google Documents
- Interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proofreading/ Editing experience
- Organization/ attention to detail
- Filing system knowledge
- Punctuality/ meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently
Intern tasks may include:
- Social media coordination
- Proofreading a variety of external documents, emails, blogs, website pages
- Researching and data-entry for media lists
- Implementing minor edits to the Marine Conservation Institute website
- Research for the institute’s speaker program
- Writing basic blogs
- Brainstorming for a variety of activities/ programs
- Program assistance
- Development research and project assistance
- Executive expense reports
- Executive travel arrangements
- Board of Directors work: note taking, committee work and individual assistance
- Donor partnerships outreach and research
- Internet based scientific and ocean research
- MailChimp newsletter set up
To apply to this position, please send the following materials via e-mail to email@example.com. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis starting May 12, 2015. Please reference the position title and your name in the subject line.
- A cover letter detailing your interests, relevant experience, goals and availability;
- A résumé;
- A list of 3 references.
- Two-three writing samples
Please no calls.
There are currently no volunteer openings. Thank you for your interest.
Marine Conservation Institute is an equal opportunity employer.